Monday, November 25, 2013

Winter Roads: Yellowhead to Jasper: Icefield Parkway to Banff, AB


The continuing story of my winter road terrors! I had thought I was pretty much over my accident, but I'm realizing that I've lost a lot of my nerve for the snowy mountain roads. I wouldn't have blinked at these roads before. Now I'm up at night checking the weather, looking at road reports, worrying about the drive. So, here I go- out of Prince George, BC. I'm rolling along the Yellowhead Highway headed for Jasper, AB. I've got two down days ahead of me, so I'm going to stay with friends in Banff, AB. But first I need to get to Jasper!


The sky brightens up, but the road is ice streaked, slippery. Very few vehicles out here, so it's no problem for me to continue at a fairly slow rate of speed. At least it's not snowing now! Overnight, there has been snow in some of the higher elevations- and here it has been packed down, partially melted, and re-frozen. An hour into the ride, I'm moving slowly. No sand or salt on this section.


It's a pretty day out here. I'm just moving slow and steady, looking at the mountains and wondering about the elevation ahead.



Approaching Jasper, AB- I've crossed the time line and the roads are now clearer, even dry in sections.




After a fuel stop in Jasper, AB, I leave the Yellowhead Highway. It's getting later in the day, but I've got hours ahead of me yet. Now I'm heading south, on the legendary Icefield Parkway. The sun is setting, and there is no traffic on this road!



Glooming mountains in the distance as dark settles in. The road will soon start to twist, rise, slip and slide into a black night. In four hours I make it to Route 1, and a short run to Banff. Scotch is in order now! Made it!

1 comment:

  1. Just getting caught up on your blog ... particularly enjoy the snippets about people you meet.
    Don't envy you the mountain driving, but even here in the parklands the roads have been pretty scary lately. S-s-slippery.

    ReplyDelete