Friday, November 8, 2013

Silverton, BC to Enderby, BC- And a Surprise!


I leave Silverton in good time this morning. I've been on line looking at road reports, and checking out maps. I had over nine hours of brutal, snow and ice driving over four mountain passes yesterday- and I'm stressed about getting through these mountains to my next show. I've elected to drive down the Arrow lakes, staying at low elevation as much as possible. It's a bit longer than I would of routed in good weather, but, damn, I sure don't want to be on another snowy, high mountain pass for a long, long time. It looks good coming down the little drive from the woods...


Snow picks up, but the roads remain mostly clear and dry.


I've got to catch a ferry on Hwy 23- I'm going to drive it right up to Revelstoke, BC, to avoid another high pass on another small road. This is looking pretty good. The boats here run every hour and a half, so I busy myself cleaning out the car and repacking the trunk. It's about six or seven degrees out- feels like spring, rather than the advance of winter.


The ride is fast and simple. About a dozen cars and trucks share the deck, and in twenty minutes or so we are across the lake. I am, however, climbing to a higher elevation. The road report this morning said the roads were clogged with slush and were fogged over. I'm ready, nervous. I've got just 50 km out to the main road. It's not looking too bad. These roads are clear, so far.



Fog or low clouds? I can't tell, and probably don't know the difference. In any event, I've got a good excuse to try out my fog lights. They do look pretty cool on the big Lincoln!

I get to Enderby in good time. I'm playing at Lorenzo's Cafe- a fun room I've done many times before. You never know what will happen here! Lorne makes me welcome. I set up, eat dinner- and then it's show time.

It's pretty quiet here for a Friday night, but there are some familiar faces in the house. Here's my pal Vince Almond from CFBX, blues radio, Kamloops, BC. Vince made the drive down here to catch a show, say hello, and to have me autograph one of his latest finds!


Does anyone recognize the guys on the back cover of this 1978, Flying Fish recording?


That's right- it's the BBQ Boys. Sam Chatmon's last band. Colin Linden on the left, Doc MacLean on the right!


Just for fun, here's an old picture of Colin and I that somebody brought out to a show a couple of years ago! It was off one of our old gig posters. Tough, eh?!

Here's a more recent pic of us in Nashville, TN. Just for fun. Colin's been out playing guitar for Bob Dylan in recent days. When we get time we will make another album.

Here's a parting shot of Lorne and I. He's the Lorne of Lorenzo's fame, and he's done quite a bit to help quite a few musicians over the mountains for many years now. Thanks, Lorne- it was great to visit as always!

1 comment:

  1. Great adventures...minus the nerve racking drive! Funny that your friend found that Sam Lp! Was the right record in it?! Love seeing the pics of you and Colin, old and new! Be safe, have fun!

    ReplyDelete